Terms of Service & Volunteer Guidelines
Thank you for your dedication to Oakland! Your well-being and enjoyment are important to us. All volunteers are expected to conduct themselves in a safe, courteous and legal manner while participating in activities on City property or right-of-way. Please follow these guidelines: General Safety
- Wear appropriate footwear, clothing, sunscreen and eye protection (when necessary).
- Keep hydrated.
- Call 911 for emergencies.
- When possible, stay out of the street.
- When working in or around a gutter, work from the sidewalk.
- If working near traffic, wear a bright reflective work vest or bright-colored clothing. x
- Cross streets at signals or crosswalks, not mid-block.
Working Near Waterways
- Always work with a partner near water.
- Watch for poison oak and blackberry thorns.
- Watch your footing on slopes and shorelines.
- Never allow children to work on steep slopes or near shorelines without adult supervision.
- Do not use power tools.
- Carry tools carefully to avoid hitting others.
- Always use the right tools for the job. Ask a team leader or City staff if you are unsure.
- Never allow children to play with tools or to use sharp tools.
- Always keep your tools close to you.
- Count and clean your tools after an activity/cleanup.
- Return borrowed tools and supplies, as agreed. A copy of the Tool Request Form is available at www.oaklandadoptaspot.org.
- Always sweep, rake or shovel glass. Never pick up sharp objects with your hands.
- Separate collected materials into recycling, greenwaste and garbage.
- To the extent practicable, place recyclables and smaller garbage bags into home refuse containers.
- Contact the PWA Call Center at (510) 615-5566 or firstname.lastname@example.org for pickup of City-issued debris bags. Tell them the quantity of bags, type of debris and the nearest address.
- Never touch hazardous or medical waste (including automotive fluids and hypodermic needles). Report items to the Public Works Call Center or to a City employee, if present.
- Always be courteous to fellow volunteers and City employees.
- Never use vulgar language or engage in threatening or disruptive actions.
- Never make unauthorized changes to City property or right-of-way, including landscaping.
- Keep foreign mulch and soils off City property and right-of-way, unless pre-authorized by the Public Works Environmental Services Division.
Note: The City reserves the right to immediately withdraw support for any volunteer if, at the sole discretion of the City, the volunteer’s conduct while participating in volunteer activities on City property or right-of-way is determined to be inconsistent with these Volunteer Guidelines or violates any local, state or federal law. Withdrawal of support may include repossession of loaned tools and revocation of related Adopt a Spot Agreements.
VOLUNTEER WAIVER & RELEASE OF LIABILITY
I am voluntarily participating in the City of Oakland’s Public Works Agency volunteer program at. I have read and agree to follow the Volunteer Guidelines, below. I acknowledge my participation in these events does not come without the risk of injury or harm; I accept this risk, and assume responsibility for all liability and risk associated with my participation.
I agree to hold harmless, release, waive and forever discharge the City of Oakland, its employees, departments, officers and agents, from any and all claims or demands I may have by reason of any accident, illness, injury, loss, destruction or damage to property, arising or resulting directly or indirectly from my participation in this activity. I further covenant not to bring any legal action against the City of Oakland, its employees, departments, officers and agents, for any injury, loss or damage resulting from my participation in this activity.
This Waiver and Release is contractual and not a mere recital and applies whether or not injury or loss resulting from this activity is caused by an act or omission of the City, its employees, departments, officers or agents, negligent or otherwise.
This Waiver and Release is binding on my heirs, executors, administrators, assigns, and all of my family members, and applies to all losses, whether known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, related to my participation in this activity.
I hereby grant permission to the City of Oakland to use photographs of me taken during this activity on its website and in other publications, at the City’s sole discretion and without further consideration.